WEDNESDAY NIGHT BIBLE STUDY – RIVERS OF JOY BAPTIST CHURCH
PASTOR/TEACHER CHARLES E. WHISNANT MAY 20 2009
· In Revelation 4:11
· Isaiah 43:7
· To display his grace and glory
He not only did it to display His glorious great gigantic intelligence, immense power, colossal wisdom, enormous love of beauty and complexity, and yet order and systematization, He’s displaying so much about His nature in the creation.
And above all that, He was able to display His grace and mercy. The glory of His redemption.
You can say that He did it in order to provide a bride for His Son.
· A redeemed humanity who would reflect His glory and serve Him and praise Him forever. Bound up in the purpose of God in creation.
IN THE BIGINNING GOD CREATED THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH
· “In the beginning,” launched a previous non-existent reality….. TIME.
· Time is God’s creation.
· Time provided the proper framework for creation. . . day one through day six.
· Time, space, matter as we know them are not absolute, but will be uncreated.
· “With the motion of creation, time began to run its course. St Augustine. “We should say that time began with creation rather than that creation began with time.”
God created TIME in Genesis 1:1 and from 2-31 breaks it down in succession.
THE CONDITION OF THE EARTH ON DAY ONE:
Verse 2 “let there be light.”
As day one begins we see the earth in a very unique condition. Three phrases are used to depict it.
It was formless. And void. And darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
First: “and the earth was formless and void.” “as to the earth, it was formless and void.” Which means? “Hebrew words tohu and wabohu
· Tohu means wilderness. It means devastated place. It means waste place.
· Bohu means empty. It was an empty waste place.
· Jeremiah 4:23 (19-23). He is sad because of the Destruction of Judah. And she uses the terms in Genesis 1:2.
· Isaiah 34:11 same idea. It was going to be a desolate place and it’s going to be empty of inhabitants.
· The earth was unfinished as to its shape and uninhabited.
The material was there.
There was time and there was space and there was matter.
But it was unformed and unpopulated.
· Time, in the beginning, the heavens , matter, or the heavens, space; and the earth matter. God created them, God spoke them into existence.
But yet they were undifferentiated, unseparated, unorganized and uninhabited.
Second: “Darkness was over the surface of the deep.
· God had not created LIGHT.
What is this prehistoric deep:
· Deep is a synonym used in Scripture for sea. “darkness is over the surface of the deep and the Spirit of God was also moving over the surface of the waters.”. Isaiah 51:9-10.
Okay, so what do we have here?
The entire surface of the earth is water, it’s a deep, it’s a sea, it’s a global, prehistoric ocean surrounded by universal darkness. Psalms 104:5-6, 2 Peter 3:5, Proverbs 8:27.
The matter became circular. God had this ball of elements that would constitute the earth when He shaped it engulfed in waters.
Third: The Spirit of the God was moving over the surface of the waters.
· Job 33:4 “The Spirit of God has made me and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”
· This means superintending, divine care and supervision.
· ‘HOVERING” MOVE.
Deuteronomy 32:11. Hovering over this undeveloped, unformed, lifeless, mass of matter in space, covered by water, engulfed in darkness. .
God is directly involved in His creation. His hand is never lifted from the elements and working of the material order. His presence is there superintending, hovering over that.
· Psalms 33:6. THE SPIRIT OF GOD PROVIDED THE ENERGY TO SHAPE AND ORGANIZE AND BRING LIFE. THIS IS THE WORK OF GOD.