Charles E. Whisnant, Pastor & Teacher, Rivers of Joy Baptist Church
October 11, 2009
THE PRINCIPLES OF THE GOOD NEWS
THE PROVISION AND THE PROCLAMATION AND PURPOSE
Notes for Verse 5
By whom — as the ordained channel
We have received grace — the whole "grace that bringeth salvation" (Titus 2:11).
and apostleship — for the publication of that "grace," and the organization of as many as receive it into churches of visible discipleship. (We prefer taking them as two distinct things, and not, with some good interpreters, as one — "the grace of apostleship").
for obedience to the faith — rather, "for the obedience of faith" — that is, in order for men’s yielding themselves to the belief of God’s saving message, which is the highest of all obedience.
for his name — that He might be glorified.
Notes for Verse 6
Among whom are ye also — that is, along with others; for the apostle ascribes nothing special to the Church of Rome (compare 1 Corin 14:36).
the called — (Romans 8:30).
of Christ Jesus — that is, either called "by Him" (John 5:25), or the called "belonging to Him"; "Christ’s called ones." Perhaps this latter sense is best supported, but one hardly knows which to prefer.
THE PROVISION OF THE GOOD NEWS
What is it that the good news gives us?
1A First: GRACE which is CONVERSION that is to be called.
2A Second: APOSTLESHIP which is VOCATION that is to be sent.
The good news is that salvation is by grace. 5 By whom we have received grace Romans 1:5
- ·Ephesians 2:8-9 Romans 3:24,27-28
- Salvation does not come by confirmation, communion, baptism, church membership, church attendance, trying to keep the Ten Commandments. Living good, having religious belief, or even believing in God and serving Him.
- When a person places his trust in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, God sovereignty breathes into that person His
own divine life. Christians are alive spiritually because they have been born from above, created a difference with the very life of God Himself.
GRACE.5485 The means whereby God will apply the Good News of salvation. God has stooped down as it were, to give man grace, even though we don’t deserve it.
The Good News of salvation brings us into a new vocation
5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship.
- “Apostle” means sent one. As saved saints sent to tell others about Christ.
- We have the holy privilege of serving Jesus Christ.
- The Lord never provides conversion without commission. Ephesians 2:8-10.
THE PROCLAMATION OF THE GOSPEL
“for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name 6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:” Romans 1:6
- Someone who believes in Christ and puts their faith in Christ will be obedient to Christ.
- James 2:14-26, Ephesians 2:10
“the obedience to the faith.” That term is used as a synonym for salvation.
“faith.”4102 “obedience.” 5218
- In other words true genuine salvation, the truth that you have put your faith in Jesus Christ, is that you have obedient faith. Romans 1:18.19
A BELIEVER RECOGNIZES THE LORDSHIP OF CHRIST IN HIS LIFE
“Among all nations, for His name 5b “among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ” vs 6 Philippians 2:10-11, 2 Corinthian 4:15
This message will be on video. Growbylearing. Com