Pastor / Teacher Charles E. Whisnant
Rivers of Joy Baptist Church
AN EXPLANATION OF THE SINFULNESS AND FALLENNESS OF OUR UNIVERSE EXPLAINED
Everything that fails to be as perfect as God came from this event in Genesis 3:1-7. This event is the reason for all imperfection and death.
1. THE SOLICITOR: Satan makes an appeal to Eve.
“Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made.” 3:1
2 THE STRATEGY: Satan’s strategy is to lie.
What Satan needs to do to influence the result he wants is to generate a lie that Eve believes.
He had to deceive her. John 8:44 SATAN LIED ABOUT TWO THINGS.
- He lies about the character of God.
- He lies about the Word of God.
Satan wants you to believe that he is telling you the truth about God who Satan is saying is a liar.
Satan’s goal is to get you to believe that the character of God can’t be trusted, thus the Word of God can’t be trusted. Satan will try to get you to doubt God’s goodness and his Word.
His first approach to Eve: Just a sort of impartial witness asking a very innocent and above suspicion question of Eve. 3:1 says: “Indeed, has God said that you shall not eat from any tree of the garden?”
WHY DO YOU THINK SATAN WENT TO EVE AND NOT ADAM?
- 1 Peter 3:7 Ephesians 5 1 Timothy 2 2 Corinthians 11:3
WHY WAS EVE NOT SURPRISED WHEN THIS CHARACTER WALKED UP TO HER?
- In an unprotected condition. Just being nice. A blonde. A level of susceptibility.
THE FIRST QUESTION IN THE BIBLE WAS DESIGNED TO GET EVE ON THE MINDSET
- Of questioning God.
- Of doubting God.
- To distrusting God.
- To disobeying God.
HERE IS SATAN’S CLEVER PLAN AND IS THE ESSENCE OF ALL SIN.
- You have a right to question God.
- You have a right to doubt God.
- You have a right to distrust God.
Satan said “So, God has said, has He……?” “And Eve, how do you really feel about it?”
· The assumption is that what God says is subject to our judgment, our evaluation, our assessment.
What is missing in the statement “Indeed, has God said?” What is the word that Satan leaves out? __________________________
- Satan hates the idea that God has sovereignty over all things.
What did Satan bring up about what God said to Adam and Eve?
- Has God really said?
- What did God say, and what did Satan say about what God said?
Satan put the focus on the prohibition “ye shall not eat of the tree of…” He set her up to question or to judge God and His Word. He wanted Eve to question God’s intent. “Did God restrict you in some way?” “Does God want to steal your joy?” “Isn’t God a little narrow in His request of you?”
- “By the way Eve, I am not that way, I am for freedom.” Satan gives the idea of.
SO WAS EVE AT A DISADVANTAGE TO THIS CONFRONATION?
WHAT WERE EVE’S ADVANTAGES?
- She knew God
- She knew God was good and only good.
- She knew enough to say: Hold it. I will not question the goodness of God.
- ·She knew the clear command from God.
WHAT DO YOU SAY WHEN SATAN COMES TO YOU AND SAYS “WHAT KIND OF GOD DO YOU WORSHIP?
- Satan was able to convince Eve that God didn’t mean exactly what He said.
The sin was the moment she believed God was not good, and that God had restricted her from something good.
DO YOU KNOW WHAT EVE SHOULD HAVE DONE, AND WHAT WE SHOULD DO WHEN SATAN GIVES ANY NEGATIVE SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE CHARACTER OF GOD?
- My God is not restraining.
- My God is not withholding any true joy or any true delight.
- My God is good and only good and always good.
Eve bought into Satan’s lies about God. Satan got Eve to suspect in her mind that God was not all good because He was narrow and restrictive.
HERE IS THE POINT FOLKS:
- As soon as you and I do not completely, wholeheartedly, unreservedly trust in the wisdom and goodness of God. You have sinned.
SATAN GOT EVE TO BELIEVE:
- There were some delights she could be having and they were not being permitted by God.
NOTE WHAT EVE DID NOT DO:
- She did not defend God.
- She did not protect God’s goodness.
- She did not tell the Devil to get out of here.
- She did not take offense at the wicked insults to God’s character.
Video of this message can be seen on growbylearning.com on the opening page.