To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. Vs 7
Pastor/Teacher Charles E. Whisnant
Rivers of Joy Baptist Church, October 25, 2009
THE PRIVILEGES OF THE GOSPEL: 1:7
THREE PRIVILEGES BELIEVERS HAVE AS A RESULT OF THE GOSPEL
1 BELOVED OF GOD
2 CALLED TO BE SAINTS
3 SAINTS OF GOD
1B BELOVED OF GOD:
- Ephesians 2:4-5
- I John 3:1
- Ephesians 1:6
- Romans 5:5
- Romans 8:35
2B CALLED OF GOD. CALLED TO BE SAINTS.
- This is an effectual call to salvation.
- This is not a general call to salvation
- Isaiah 45:22
- Isaiah 55
- Ezekiel 33:11
- Matthew 11:28
- John 7:37
- Revelation 22:17
- Romans 10:17
Here the “called” is the effectual call to redemption. That comes by the sovereign will of God. (Ephesians 1:4.)
3B SAINTS OF GOD
- If you are a Christian, you are a saint. Saint: means holy one.
- By virtue of being beloved of God & called to salvation, believers have been set apart from the world in obedience to God.
- Holy things in the Bible were set apart for God. Holy of Holies, Tithe, Priest, Israel.
- In the New Testament the only idea of being set apart are Christians.
- Acts 26:18 and Hebrews 2:11. From sin to God.
“GRACE TO YOU, AND PEACE”
Believers are the only ones who could receive His grace and experience His peace.
THE PURPOSE OF THE GOSPEL 5C
“For His name.” Every thing focuses on the glory of God.
The main reason you were saved was to keep you out of Hell? Secondary!
To experience the love of God? Secondary!
For God to lead your life? Secondary!
The main reason people are saved is the GLORY OF GOD.
His glory is the issue.
- 3 John 7
- Philippians 2:9-11
- 2 Corinthians 4:15
God is glorified when:
- Someone believes His Gospel.
- When men love His Son.
- When men accept His diagnosis of their greatest need, which is forgiveness of sin.
THE GOSPEL COMES FROM GOD. IT IS PROMISED IN THE OLD TESTAMENT. IT IS PERSONIFIED IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. IT PROVIDES GRACE AND SERVICE. IT IS PREACHED BY THOSE WHO RECEIVE ETERNAL PRIVILEGES. AND ULTIMATELY IT IS FOR THE PURPOSE OF GLORIFYING GOD.