Charles E. Whisnant
Rivers of Joy Baptist Church, Minford Ohio
The lessons are on video over at Growbylearning.com will gave all the video lessons.
God comes in the cool of the day, after Eve talked to the serpent, after she took of the fruit, after she shared with Adam, and after she felt the shame of their disobedience, and after they sewed fig leaves for a covering, and after a time God came to visit them.
As we said last week, when they heard the sound of God coming, they hid from Him because they were afraid. And they wanted immediately to distance themselves from God. Sinners have always tried to hide from God, which is certainly the most all-encompassing foolishness in the mind of the sinner.
BUT GOD CAME SEEKING THE HIDING SINNERS.
Genesis 3:9 “Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?”
· Note God’s approach to them following their disobedience. God came seeking the sinners, not the other away around.
WHAT DID GOD MEAN WHEN HE SAID TO ADAM: “WHERE ARE YOU?”
1 He’s not asking for information.
2 He knew where they were.
3 What God was wanting was for Adam to step forward on his own and confess his sin.
4 God who is merciful, by nature a Savior seeks a sinner to confess.
5. God was asking: “Where are you now in terms of your condition?”
God is calling man to an account. God is in session in His court. God has issued a warrant for Adam’s arrest. Well, God could have rendered sentence on the spot. But God comes for an accounting.
- · GOD FOUND ADAM AND EVE. They were still hid in the trees. “HE CALLED TO THE MAN AND SAID TO HIM,” which means He found them. He knew exactly where they were.
GOD ASKED THE QUESTION IN THIS MANNER OF SPEAKING:
- · “Now that you have sinned, now that you have disobeyed Me, in what condition do you find yourself? Explain your condition.”
AND WHAT DO YOU THINK THE REPLY WAS? Adam said:
- · 3:10 “I heard the sound of Thee in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid myself”
AND WHAT DO YOU THINK ADAM WAS SAYING?
- · First it was not the truth. He really wasn’t embarrassed. God had seen him naked.
- · He felt guilt. He knew he had sinned.
AND SO WHAT WAS THE REASON WHY ADAM LIED?
- · He couldn’t come to himself to tell the truth.
- · He now is depraved.
NOTE WHAT ADAM DID NOT SAY:
- · Nothing about I sinned.
- · Nothing about offending God.
- · Never admits his sin, neither does Eve
THIS IS WHAT THEOLOGIANS CALL THE FIRST CHARACTERISTIC OF DEPRAVITY
- · They seek to hide from God.
- · Don’t expect unbelievers to come flooding into the church.
- · They fear God; yet they want their freedom, and go ahead anyway as they wish to do in the first place.
COURT CONTINUES: VS. 11
- · “Who told you that you were naked?” God said.
- · Who else was in the Garden besides Adam and Eve? Nobody told them they were naked.
NEXT QUESTION BY GOD: VS. 11
- · “Have you eaten from the tree of which I COMMANDED you not to eat?”
- · “Have you ‘not’ eaten from the tree?”
AND ADAM SAID’
- · Vs. 12 “The woman whom you gave me to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I did eat.”
Which is to say: I am not going to confess my sin. I am only a victim. Corruption is:
Evasive. Deceptive. Self-protective. Self-justifying. And blame-shifting. The sinner does not take responsibility even for what he does.
Sinners can’t find it in themselves to say, I am guilty. “It is not my fault.” That is depravity.
The term you often hear in TV shows and movies. ‘IT’S NOT MY FAULT.” His is the nature of the human nature.