Charles E. Whisnant
Rivers of Joy Baptist Church
Wednesday, December 02, 2009
Adam and Eve have been confronted and found guilty.
The serpent has been cursed.
THE CURSE ON SATAN – THE SUPERNATURAL SPIRIT. Genesis 3:15 is our text.
15And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. KJV 15 I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” ESV
15And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise him on the heel." nasv
This verse is an astounding statement that has some wonderful truths that I hope to open up to you tonight.
While those in the Old Testament times didn’t understand completely what was meant in this verse, we who now have the full revelation of scripture understand the meaning of this verse.
In Genesis 3:15 theologians have seen here the first glimmer of the gospel.
Within the curse of Satan, God cannot restrain Himself from placing in that curse the essence of His grace.
WHY DID SATAN THINK HE MIGHT BE SUCCESSFUL WITH ADAM AND EVE AS HE WAS WITH THE ANGELS?
· Perhaps part of the explanation is that pride, the worst and most evil of all sins, has blinded Satan to reality. Two Old Testament passages (Isaiah 14:12-15) and Ezekiel 28:11-19) furnish a picture of Satan’s original position and the reasons for his loss of that position. They tell of an exalted angelic being, one of God’s creatures, who became too proud and ambitious. He determined to take the throne of God for himself. But God removed him from his position of great dignity and honor. As a result of his original status and authority, Satan had great power and dignity. So great is his strength that Michael the archangel viewed him as a foe too powerful to oppose (Jude 9)
THE CURSE IN GENESIS 3:15 PUT THE REVERSE IMMEDIATELY OF WHAT SATAN MUST HAVE ANTICIPATED.
- I’m going to make you the enemy of the woman.
- You are not going to have your way with that woman.
- You’re not going to have your way.
- She’s not going to be the friend of Satan and the enemy of God.
- I’m going to change that.
- And in “the woman,” He is also encompassing the man as well.
“I am going to put (the) enmity between you and the woman.”
- That is a promise that the woman, who has become the enemy of God and the friend of Satan, is going to turn and become the enemy of Satan and the friend of God.
- This is the first spark of the gospel. The first indication of Salvation.
HERE IN THIS VERSE WE SEE GOD TELLING US THAT EVE WAS GOING TO EXPERIENCE SALVATION.
- If Eve, who has become the enemy of God and the friend of Satan, is going to become the friend of God and the enemy of Satan, she’s going to have to be converted.
God is going to reverse the enmity with Him and enable them to reverse their enmity with Him and enable them to be restored as the friends of god again.
This is going to take come radical change.
- Something has to change down inside.
- The NT calls this the new birth, or regeneration.
- There is going to be some dramatic change in their nature.
- There is going to be a new desire of their heart toward God.
So in order to make this change from hostility toward God, God is going to:
- Have the grace to do that.
- Have the power to do that. Romans 1:16-17
- Have to provide the forgiveness necessary and the transformation that changes them.
Note in Genesis 3:8-13 the depravity of their hearts.
- There was nothing naturally in those people that sought to make things right with God.
- They weren’t anywhere near, nor were thy capable, of honestly repenting of their sin and recognizing their true condition.
- And yet, it says here in Genesis 3:15 that they are going to change.
- They are going to be turned around and they are going to become lovers of God and haters of Satan.
- The wondrous work of God in changing their nature, the new nature, regeneration.
NOTE: “BETWEEN YOUR SEED AND HER SEED.”
- That is to say, that not only Eve is going to start to hate Satan and love God, but children born to Adam and Eve, a redeemed humanity, will also hate Satan.
- There is going to be conflict between human beings and the kingdom of Satan.
SATAN’S SEED, “YOUR SEED,” AND “BETWEEN YOUR SEED.” WHAT IS IT REFERRING TO?
- Satan cannot procreate little demons or people.
- But refers to all the depraved, unconverted and haters of God.
- John 8:44 “the children of Satan, of their father the devil.”
- Ephesians 2 “the subjects of the – prince of the power of the air, the spirit that’s working in children of disobedience.
- They are going to be the devil’s seed.
- Out of the loins of the woman, from the man and the woman, are going to come people who are going to love God and hate you (Satan), and there is going to be a permanent conflict going on.
EXAMPLE OF THIS ONGOING CONFLICT: THE HISTORY OF THE COVENANTERS IN SCOTLAND FROM ABOUT 1625- 1675.
SO THE CURSE IS A PROMISE.
1. The curse on Satan is a promise of Satan’s defeat. He is not going to succeed with eve and Adam.
2. He is not going to succeed with all humanity.
3. He will have some who are spiritually his children
4. But there are going to be some who are the spiritual children of eve. That is they will be the believers. But
5. there are always going to be those who are going hate Satan and always be in conflict and deep animosity against him.
IN VERSE 15” ‘HE SHALL BRUISE YOU ON THE HEAD, AND YOU SHALL BRUISE HIM ON THE HEEL.”
- · The KJV says “IT”, the NASV says “HE”. And we will go with the pronoun “HE” since “HE” is not an “IT.”
We will see the next time who “HE” is.