THE DESIGN OF PRAYER: WHY HAS GOD APPOINTED PRAYER-
1. First and foremost, prayer has been appointed that the Lord God Himself should be honored. Isaiah 57:15; Jonah 2:9;
2. In the second place, prayer is appointed by God for our spiritual blessing, as a means for our growth in grace.
- 1. Prayer is designed by God for our humbling.
- 2. Prayer is designed by God for the exercise of our faith. Romans 10:8
- 3. Prayer calls love into action: Job 27:10; Psalms 116:1
- 4. Prayer is designed by God to teach us the value of the blessings we have sought from Him.
Third, prayer is appointed by God for our seeking from Him the things which we are in need of.
True or False: If God has foreordained, before the foundation of the world, everything which happens in time, there is no need to pray.
True or False: God be the Predestinator of everything that comes to pass, and the Regulator of all events, then prayer a profitless exercise? I Thess 5:17; Luke 18:1 James 5:16-17
What then is the relationship between God’s Sovereignty and Christian prayer?
True or False: God has elected certain ones to be saved, but He has also decreed that these shall be saved through the preaching the Gospel
True or False: God has decreed the means as well as the end, and among the means is prayer. Even the prayers of His people are included in His eternal decrees.
True or False: That prayers for the execution of the very things decreed by God are not meaningless is clearly taught in the Scriptures. James 5:17, 18; Daniel 9:2-3; Jeremiah 29:1
True or False: The design of prayer: not that God’s will may be altered, but that it may be accomplished in His own good time and way. John 15:5; John 17:11, Jeremiah 15:1
True or False: Our views respecting prayer need to be revised and brought into harmony with the teaching of Scripture on the subject
True or False: Prayer is a coming to God, telling Him my need, committing my way unto the Lord, and leaving Him to deal with it as seemeth Him best John 11; 2 Corinthians 12
True or False: No prayer is pleasing to God unless the spirit actuating it is “not my will, but Thine be done.”
True or False: will it surprise you when we say that every real prayer of faith that has ever been offered to God has been answered?
True or False: Real prayer is communion with God so that there will be common thoughts between His mind and ours.
True or False: What is needed is for Him to fill our hearts with His thoughts and then His desires will become our desires flowing back to Him.